RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

What’s Wrong With Being the Best?

Have still been doing some thinking, reading and discussing about leadership and the use of powerful tools with learners. I am still of the opinion that there is not enough out there to guide teachers towards using technology to be the best that you can be. I guess it is still a bit to do with the Digital Native/Digital Immigrant thing that we are still not honoring the kid who creates a brilliant webspace for his peers to comment on human right abuse by the Burmese Government or the one who picks up a degree in finance online at a University in My Space. This really has to change so that we have some beacons for teachers new to this game. It can’t be too hard for some of the better brains than I to be able to come up with some measures of “Exceptional Learning” in an online environment. We need to set up, encourage and award “online Elitism” I really identify with comments by Professor Denis Dutton of the University of Canterbury, Claire Fox Director, Institute of Ideas, UK and Dr Charles Murray of the American Enterprise Institute whom recently spoke at the 2007 Centre for Independent Studies: Big Ideas Forum, In Praise of Elitism, held in Sydney on 13 August 2007. It was summarised on the ABC’s big ideas website http://www.abc.net.au/rn/bigideas/stories/2007/2012152.htm thus:

At a time when meritocracy is supposedly the guiding principle, why is it that elitism is such an uncomfortable idea? Australian culture, in particular, shuns the tall poppy, except in sporting endeavours. It somehow doesn’t feel quite right to acknowledge that there are a select few who have, by nature, intellectual gifts beyond the rest of us. But, high achievers run our societies, from politicians to business leaders, so if the few are here to stay, why not encourage them to meet their greatest potential? In doing so, the argument follows, our societies will be better run, our economies will flourish and general living conditions will be improved for all. Join us for an unashamed celebration of being the best, with three champions of the freedom to excel.

Food for thought?

Why can’t we encourage this sort of online leadership?

Trackback URL

Post a Comment